enjoy the rest of your day and stay entertained with reliable and trusted news

Advertisement

  • Breaking News

    Tuesday 14 October 2014

    Pensioner from Hampshire lost his wife to Alzheimer's three years ago


    A widower who lost his wife to Alzheimer's 72 years after their first kiss has touched hearts across Britain by penning a heart-wrenching poem in her memory. 
    Bob Lowe, 93, from Barton-on-Sea in Hampshire, described the deep loneliness he has felt since his wife Kath died three years ago in his work Ode to Kath.
    Their relationship survived the Second World War and they were together for six more decades. But the terrible disease took its toll in her later years, until one day she asked him: 'Where's Bob?'

    Happy days: Bob and Kathleen Lowe, pictured on their wedding day in 1946, were married for 65 years

    Happy days: Bob and Kathleen Lowe, pictured on their wedding day in 1946, were married for 65 years
    One of the last picture of Bob and Kathleen Lowe, from Hampshire, before she passed away three years ago 
    One of the last picture of Bob and Kathleen Lowe, from Hampshire, before she passed away three years ago
    One Twitter user, @welshflier, wrote: 'Bob Lowe's matter-of-factness about old-age loneliness makes it more heartbreaking. Now cooking breakfast while crying.'
    Another, Miles Evans, wrote: 'Don't often well up but Bob Lowe just made me. What a legend. Heartbreaking and spirit soaring at the same time'.
    Bob and Kath met in 1937 but were separated when the Second World War broke out in 1939.
    Despite the distance, they sent each other love notes and photographs and Bob proposed to his love while he was on active service.
    They wed in 1946 upon his return and a friend who worked for Kodak recorded their wedding video in colour. 
    They went on to have two daughters and a son. 
    Bob said: 'Well, you're going back to 1937, I met my Kath. She was lovely.
    'One of the guys said to me "Hey, she fancies you" and I said "Well I certainly fancy her". 
    'Unfortunately in 1939, the war separated us, but while I was over there I thought I need to write to her and ask her to marry me.
    'Family life in those days was a happy life.'
    After six decades together, she her memory began to fade. Her husband raised the alarm with doctors after she failed to recognise him one night and she was diagnosed with Alzheimer's. 
    He said: 'One evening she turned around and and she looked at me and she said "Where's Bob?" and I said "I'm Bob". 
    'The bottom dropped out of my world then. The doctors said she was in the early stages of Alzheimer's disease.

    No comments:

    Post a Comment